Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kenya Trip


7-22-12
I am on my way to Nairobi, Kenya on a C-12, which is a plane that has two turbo prop engines and is usually used for executives (Generals).  I am at 24,000 feet traveling at 180 knots. Very cool plane! I think if I got on my knees, my head would almost touch the ceiling.

On take-off I got to see where I am from the air for the first time, as I came in while it was dark. There is nothing but dessert! There are very few trees. There are “houses” around, but no town or obvious means of earning a living.

I am hoping to go to the Nairobi National Park today, but we’ll see.  I have been anxious for an opportunity to see some African wildlife. All they have on Camp Lemonnier are pigeons and some crow-looking bird. I did see three camels outside the Camp when we went down town a couple weeks ago, though.

The temperature in Nairobi is supposed to be pretty cool. Courtney checked and June and July are supposed to be their coolest months with highs in the 80s and lows in the 50s! That will be a welcomed break from the sauna I’ve been living in.

More after I get to the hotel. I’m not sure if I should post pictures of the hotel because is very nice. We use it because it is within our lodging limit for the area and because it is near the Embassy, where we have a meeting.  I’m looking forward to wondering around the shops, although Diane hasn’t told me what she wants me to look for. All I know is she wants some materiel.  That’s it.

Well, here I am, my first night in Nairobi. Absolutely gorgeous weather. It’s 73 degrees during the day and in the 50s at night. June and July are their coolest months of the year, believe it or not. January is their hottest month.

Security here is very tight. There are security guards at the market who wand you before you are allowed in. We’ve been told to only use the cash machines that have armed guards at them. There were two at the machine we used when we got here, who were armed with AK-47s.

Tomorrow we have meetings, as well as Tuesday and Wednesday, then it’s back to the sauna in Djibouti (my reality for the next 5 ½ months).





No comments:

Post a Comment